Today was such a busy busy day! Heather and I went to the Kensington Station today to work out her oyster card problems. (She’s lost four of them and they won’t give any refunds for some stupid reason... I’m not bitter!) We did hear a really cool story while we were there though. I asked the manager what the weirdest thing is that he’s ever seen on his security monitors. He said that one time a train followed a duck from one station to another. He followed the duck the entire time!! Honking didn’t scare the duck. Nudging the duck didn’t scare the duck. It took about 15 minutes to get to the other station when it usually only takes 2 minutes. People were a bit upset. But imagine how funny it would be to see the train inching forward and then hear a quack and look down only to see the train didn’t want to run over this stupid duck! So funny. I definitely got a good laugh out that story.
We went to the British library today. Oh. My. Gosh. Talk about amazing!!!! They have original manuscripts of Handel’s Messiah, Mozart, and a ton of others. They also have Beethoven’s tuning fork. WOW!!!! I saw their handwritten music scores! Their handwriting! I’m still getting over it. It truly was amazing though. I loved that library.
We went to the British museum after that. We saw a lot of old stuff that was really amazing. We didn’t have a whole lot of time to look through stuff so we skimmed a lot of things. Notice the cool pictures. :) The mummies were cool. I really liked the wedgewood stuff. It’s so beautiful.
We went to see Platform 9 3/4 also. When we got to King’s Cross station, we assumed that Platform 9 3/4 would be between platforms 9 and 10. That would make sense right? We also didn’t want anyone to know that we were looking for the Harry Potter place... ya know the whole stupid Americans mentality... :) Anyway, we went up to a security officer and asked him where platform 10 is. He told us... and then he asked if we were Harry Potter fans and wanted to see platform 9 3/4. We were embarrassed but said yes. He then said that that platform is next to platform 8. Duh! Anyway, we finally got to the platform and realized that it’s just a wall with a cart halfway through. Really funny memory though. I’m glad we went.
We went to the opera tonight! We saw Tosca!! We saw it at the English National Opera house. That is such a beautiful venue. I find it interesting that the architecture is patterned after the Roman style. Britain used to be the world power like Rome. They have really beautiful buildings here. Anyway, to get back to the opera... I loved the singing. I thought the acting was fantastic. I did not like that Tosca was sung completely in English. Sad sad day!!! I love Italian opera!! Apparently, this theater (or theatre if you prefer) only does operas in English. I think that is very strange but they want to make it accessible to all audiences. Interesting. I really enjoyed the experience and I’m so super glad I went.
Heather and I were hungry after the opera so we came home and made scrambled eggs and some delicious potatoes while we watched parts of Sword and the Stone. It was such a delightful evening. Perfect end to a rather wonderful day.

1 comment:
I just finished reading your blog updates to this point. I am so grateful that you are there! So glad you are enjoying your experiences and gaining insights as you ponder each experience. I'm with you on the Wedgewood. That stuff is totally ME! Love that stuff :) and you! Mom
Post a Comment