Today we had a workshop with Paul Spicer. He is a British man who conducted the Finzi Singers. They were a group of singers that focused on recording works that most choirs don’t record. He gave us a workshop about the British choral tradition. It was really interesting. Actually, the first half was really interesting. Towards the end, I had a hard time keeping my attention focused on what he was saying. He began to say things in script form. I need to remind myself NOT to do that when I’m a teacher. Some of the notes I got from the workshop were helpful and I’ll put them down here. :)
Sound - and the production thereof
He has taught himself how to conduct through watching people he admires.
He started the conducting program at the royal college of music
He wanted to create a technique that provided clarity.
What is the role of the conductor
Your job is the creation of an instrument
Every single human person is different and the conductor creates the instrument
You must first and foremost be a singing teacher
Warmups are crucial!
You are giving the technique which you are going to use for the template for the rehearsal and throughout your life.
Always go around the vowel plane to make sure every single vowel is placed in the same place
Have them put their fingers behind their jaw and they will automatically place the sound in the right place
“Conducting is externalizing what you hear internally”
You must have in your ears what you want the choir to sound like.
Score preparation
Words come first before anything
Find the text away from the music... read them separately
Making music come alive is a completely different issue!
Reading the poem out loud will help give color to the piece
“Here is the Little Door” - Herbert Howells
How the Finzi Singers came about
There is introspection, reflection and melancholy in British music
The personality of the group needs to come out into the music
The philosophy of sound
Something I find very interesting about the British choral tradition is that they have the organ scholars become conductors. Why don’t they have singers conduct the choirs? It’s just a completely different mindset. I’m glad people like Paul Spicer are attempting to change that tradition.
After class, I went with Josh, Caitlin, Heather, and Jessica to get some French cheese from a cheese shop just down the street. The French men were very funny and they thought it was crazy that we had never had wine. We asked them to help us pick an assortment of fine cheeses that would only cost about 24 pounds total. They made us a beautiful platter and we immediately went home and sampled all the cheese. Oh what a delight!! I LOVE cheese!! I especially love non-American cheese!!! It’s such a treat. Oh my.
I went to Love Never Dies tonight with Chris and Phil. It is the sequel to The Phantom of the Opera. I will be quiet honest... I enjoyed the music but I was very disappointed in the plot. I felt like it was a 20th century opera story-line. It wasn’t the most uplifting show I’ve ever been to. It wasn’t terrible and there were some very good parts. I don’t ever need to see it again. I am glad I went. I’m glad I saw the original cast a month after it came out in London. :) It was a very very good day today.

No comments:
Post a Comment