Tuesday, June 01, 2010

May 22, 2010 - LONDON!!! (Generosity)

Me, Heather, Phil, and Robert eating a french pastry :)

Today I learned about generosity. My roommate Heather left her wallet at a gas station on our way back from Cambridge the other day. Her wallet had her travel card (which is the only way we get anywhere in London), her drivers license, student ID card, SS card, and all of her money in the form of cards and cash. We’ve called a lot of people but we still have no been able to locate her wallet so today was our day to get her re-situated.


To start the day off, we went with our friends Robert and Phillip to go to a French bakery and have some lunch. I’ve been paying for Heather since her wallets been lost and Robert wouldn’t have it. He paid for her and paid for some of mine and wouldn’t let either one of us pay him back. I actually had to fight the tears because he’s not rolling in money either. He’s a student just like me. It was so kind. We then went to get Heather her travel card at the Tube station. Now, when we bought our travel cards initially, we registered them and the reason we registered them was so that if we lost them they could be replaced without additional cost. Apparently, that means nothing in England. Oi!!! We were frustrated. Robert helped us communicate with the lady at the front desk and she finally helped us kind of. :) They really don’t understand their own system I think. So we finally got a card that she can use for the next two weeks. We’ll be out about 25 pounds or 35 dollars but at least Heather can get around now. Robert gave me 10 pounds. Just gave it to me. I told him I would pay him back but he would have none of that.


Our next stop was to go to the train station because Robert needed to pick up his tickets to Wales and the whole way there we had incredible discussions about the gospel. We talked about raising families based on principles instead of policies. We talked about homeschooling. The three of us had incredibly fulfilling and uplifting conversations. It was just wonderful.


After we picked up his tickets we toured St Mary Abbott’s Cathedral that is very near where we live. It’s a beautiful building with much of the same architecture that we’ve seen throughout this trip. I think we’ll go to an Evensong there later.


On our way home from the church, we ran into Sister Hall and relayed our adventures of the day with her. She then took all three of us to the bank and she took out 100 pounds from her own account for Heather to use until she had money.


On my way home, my heart was full. I truly feel like we’re here with some of Heavenly Father’s very choicest children. Everyone is so kind and everyone makes sure to pull together to help others in their times of crises. I told Heather the other day that if I were ever to be in a stressful situation, I would want to be there with her. These people are so kind and so giving it makes me truly humble. I also see so many qualities in these people that I can emulate and things that I can work on to be a better person.


The gospel is incredible. I am so grateful for the promptings I received to come here. The Lord truly is watchful over His children.

No comments: