Tuesday, June 01, 2010

May 23, 2010 - LONDON! (Sunday)

Today we went to church. :) Of course. It was a lovely meeting. I really enjoy the diversity here. Everyone has such a powerful story they can share. All of their testimonies are all their own. I really enjoy hearing them and gleaning from their spirits.


After church, we went to St. Bartholomew's Chapel for evensong. It was a very different evensong I think. We sat down for the first little bit while the pastor walked around with his scepter carrying a burning lamp of incense. The smoke permeated the entire chapel. It was quite difficult to breathe with the cough I’ve had lately. It was interesting though. The choir sang the responses that I sang when I went to Oxford and it was really nice to know how they are supposed to sound. The choir was very impressive. I loved the soprano sound. I enjoyed watching the conductor. I enjoyed the atmosphere immensely. There is something about hearing this music in the venues they are meant to be performed that really speaks to my spirit. My brain seems to work on connecting every synapse -whether it’s about music or about any other aspect of my life - it really doesn’t matter. I just love hearing it. I love having it speak to me. I love hearing the harmonies, the dissonances, the nuances in the voices. I feel like the music that is heard in these venues is like a new aspect of religion I have never even known existed. There are places that my testimony has reached and grown that I didn’t even know existed because of this music. It is amazing.


Immediately after the evensong, Heather and I met my friend Darren for dinner. He took us around London in his car. I will tell you that it was a very disconcerting experience to ride in the front left passenger seat of his car while he drove around London. I was so thrown off and uncomfortable. I really felt like my world was upside down. Darren kept having to calm me down when we turned corners. It was funny. He also made fun of me a little bit because I asked some of my questions with a british inflection. He showed us where Prince Charles lives. We walked around Covent Gardens. We ate some delicious Japanese food that he actually paid for. It was very kind. He and I talked about Nauvoo and London constantly. I loved the evening. I really really did. I’m so glad he could come and teach us a little bit about London. :)

No comments: