Tuesday, June 01, 2010

May 19, 2010 -LONDON! (Class and Les Miserables)

Heather and I doing some funny faces on the tube after the show. :)




Today we had a lovely class about Bach’s Motets. I really enjoy zinget comme! It’s a happy piece. I really enjoy that music that is written for a funeral are often the most joyful music of all.


The highlight of my day today was watching Les Mis. It was Heather’s first time so that was fun to be with her for that. It’s my favorite musical that I’ve ever seen. Les Mis has so many juxtapositions. It’s interesting to me that Jean Valjean is seen as the sinner, to everyone he came in contact with, yet as you look at his life you can see how much he had done for the world. Javier was seen as the spiritual leader on the outside, and you see how much he hurt the world. Javier didn’t try to hurt the world. He was doing what he thought he should but he was always living by the letter of the law. When you live your life with love as the base, the principles behind what you do will become apparent. Charity is the most important quality a person can have and I see that in the character of Jean Valjean. I was disappointed in how quickly the lines were read and the music was performed. I felt like the performers didn’t have enough time to breathe while they were singing their solos. The conductor wanted the music to go so fast and he was not accompanying the singer, he was the soloist. It was quite bothersome to me. I was not able to enjoy the musical they way I always have before. I love the musical and I always will, but quite honestly I loved the rendition I saw in Salt Lake City more than I loved this show I saw in London.


We enjoyed some delicious British Chinese food after the show was over and then came home. It was a very enjoyable day. I love this place and I feel like all of my senses are being pampered on a daily basis. I love everything I see. I love all the music I’m hearing. I love the food I eat. I love the things I touch. I love the smells of the city. This is a beautiful place.

1 comment:

Cristie said...

Your insights are profound, Emmie. Love what you are experiencing there!