Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Tithing of My Life


This semester has been extremely busy. I'm taking 17 credits and I have felt completely overwhelmed. As I talked to my Mom about how overwhelmed I was the other day, I gave her a list of everything I had to do. She gave me a wonderful suggestion, "Why don't you give a tithing of your time to the Lord?" I'm awake for 16 hours of the day. If I give 10% of that to the Lord in service and in becoming closer to Him, that makes 120 minutes of time. As she told me that, it rang true, but at the same time it also was overwhelming because it seemed like just another time-consuming activity to clutter up my day. Nevertheless, this week I have made that my focus. So far today, I have completed everything on my list in the time that I had and I've even had time left over to help some friends. I truly feel like the Lord is blessing me with the ability to make the time that I have more effective and efficient. I don't have an overwhelmed feeling. Instead, I am filled with deep gratitude for all the Lord has blessed me with.

3Nephi 24:8,10

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say: Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it."

4 comments:

Julie said...

i dont think i had ever really thought of giving time like that. what kinds of things to you do during your given time?

Emilie said...

I count my religion classes and devotional. I'm also reading scriptures longer. When I notice some way that I can serve, I use the time for that as well. Instead of being more overwhelmed, I feel like my time is more organized and I'm getting more accomplished. It's just awesome!

T said...

You're amazing, Emilie. Way to be an inspiration to us all.

Bill said...

That's a great concept. I'm just confused by your math. 16 hours * 60 minutes per hour = 960 minutes. 10% of that is 96 minutes.

Where did the extra 24 minutes come from? (Not that I'm criticizing you for giving MORE time. Just that I'm not sure how you arrived at the number...) :-)