Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Feeling a bit tired?

This morning Caitie's plans were a little deflated. She was going to go see a massage client and had several errands to run. As she 'round'ed the corner, I heard the truck go onto the curb and then heard a nice psssssssssssssssssss sound. I turned to look at the car. The back right tire was completely out of air. It had been punctured. We tried to figure out how to use our jack, but decided it was broken. Then we called Ted and had him come out. Then a guy from our ward, named Matt, came and asked if we needed some help. We were set. We had the muscle of Ted and the tools of Matt. And so the journey began at 7:50 am...

Ted came out and got his jack, Matt also got his jack. We used Matt's to jack up the car. We then got our tools out to unscrew the lugnuts around the rim of the tire. I couldn't do it. I was getting completely wound up. Ted began using his brute strength to wind up the wrench. Not a single lugnut would budge. Now, you have to understand that Ted is not a small guy. He is extremely strong. He could not even get those lugnuts to move. Matt started working on getting the spare tire from underneath the truck. The nut holding the tire in was so rusty, Matt couldn't get it to budge either. We tried WD-40. It would not move!

Our AAA wouldn't work in Utah because we didn't have a cardmember in Utah. Matt went to his work and got his work card and let us use that. We spent about 2 hours on the phone with AAA interspersingly throughout the ordeal.

Another young man came and practically jumped on the wrench while jerking the other side to make it turn. He was able to loosen 4 of the 5 lugnuts. That was a great feet! We were thinking we wouldn't have to have a toe-truck. He almost nailed the last one. He was really on the ball! AAA finally came around 11:00. The tow-truck man came with his tools and bent his wrench trying to get the lugnuts off. We were going nuts! Finally, they came off after he hammered on his wrench and pulled with all his strength. Not only did they come off, but one of the lugnuts got stuck in his wrench! We got the tire off. Somehow he got the spare from out of the back. So, not all our plans were en'tire'ly 'wrenched'. The w'hole' time, Matt stayed there and made sure everything was all right. It was really kind of him. Cookies are definitely in order for him and Ted!! At the end, Caitie and I realized that our wrench was stuck. Matt went to un-stick it and as soon as he did, it got stuck in a different way. It was like everything that could go wrong, did.
By the end, we were all exhausted... but we kept truckin' through! The en'tire' event came to a close around 12:00. Our truck is no longer jacked up and now we can keep rolling!

2 comments:

Audrey Michal said...

all I can do is roll my eyes. I love you.

Emilie said...

I know you do. :) We just had too much fun with the puns while we were waiting for the tow truck. :) I love you too!!