For the past week, I have had a huge project due in my Music Theory class. We were to write a four-part harmony and then transpose the parts to different instruments (including an E-flat saxophone). I began my first draft and when I heard the melody I wrote, I realized it sounded like the kind of song you would hear when there's a creepy ghost in a movie or something. I decided to revise it.
I wrote the first draft a week ago and didn't have time to revise it until this morning. :) Seeing as how it was due at 12:00, starting it this morning wasn't the best idea, but it worked. I finished the whole piece 10 minutes before class started. I walked into class and our "string quartet + 1" was there. We were going to have 2 violinists, a cellist, and a saxophonist. The problem was that one of the violinists did not show up for class. The class began brainstorming about how we would hear the second part. One girl said she could sing it. Another suggested playing it on the piano. But, my favorite was when my good friend from my elementary music ed class piped in, "I can play it on the recorder!" I laughed. I've never heard a quartet made up of violin, recorder, cello and saxophone. And I must say it is one of the most unique sounds I have ever heard. When everyone began tuning, they had to tune to the recorder. Can you imagine having a symphony tune to a recorder? It was very amusing.
The composition went well. I conducted the quartet and felt good about the performance. Mostly, it just feels good to have that composition out of the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment