Wednesday, March 22, 2006

RM - a hopeless epidemic

I was talking to a friend of mine last night online. He told me that he figured out something about his approach in dating that left him without the desired results. He told me that he has been approaching dating much like a missionary approaches a new investigator. "If you spend a lot of time and put a lot of effort into them, it brings results." He then told me he has discovered this is just not true. He needs to change his approach, he said. I agreed with him.

The whole conversation struck me as funny because another newly Returned Missionary friend of mine told me his approach to dating and how it has changed since he got back from his mission. He said that when he got home from his mission, he had the next five years of his life planned out. "I realized that my Junior year, I wouldn't have a lot of time to date, so I'll just get that out of the way this year. I was planning on being married by July or August and then focusing on school. The first girl I started dating right after the mission, I decided she was the one. We didn't have a lot in common, but I knew she was it. I've dated two other girls since then." He went on... "My new goal is married by December." I just laughed to myself. "Your approach has changed huh?"

The friend from the first story I told asked me why I didn't say anything about the RM disease earlier. "Then," he said, "I wouldn't have had to learn the hard way." It's true. I should have told him the secret remedy. The thing about that though is, I don't know it yet either... :)

No comments: