Sunday, December 04, 2005

A fear come true

I don't know if I am the only one that has had this fear, but recently it has come true.

When I first got to BYU and was moving into my very first apartment, we found that we could conserve space if we put the bed up on cinder blocks. My first thought was that the bed didn't look very sturdy and how could we be certain the bed wouldn't fall over in my sleep? Everyone assured me that that NEVER happens. Well, ladies and gentleman, it does.

Last night I was sleeping peacefully in my bed when all of a sudden I was very abruptly awakened by my bed deciding to crash down. It didn't just crash. It jolted and then crashed. My bed was crooked and uncomfortable. I then decided to share my sisters' twin bed with her. She, having not awakened to the LOUD crashing sounds of my bed told me after two minutes or so that, "that just isn't comfortable". I thought to myself, "yea, try having your bed collapse from under you.

Being in the tired, ubruptly awakened mood I was in, I said, "Fine. I'm going to turn on the light then!" As if that were a really terrible threat. I turned on the light and tried to lift my bed back onto the cedar blocks. I was all alone in this endeavor and as I recall from the past, I was always amazed at the young men that would help me move my bed on top of them at the beginning of every school year. This time, at 2:00 in the morning, I was doing it all by myself. I finally succeeded and in the process I stubbed my little toe and it began bleeding. What a pathetic way to end the night. I finally fell back asleep around 2:30 or 2:45. I can laugh about it today, but it certainly wasn't the most pleasant night I've had.

So if ever anyone has told you the cinder blocks never fall down while you are sleeping peacefully in your bed, take my advice and find some way to ensure a restful nights sleep.

Sweet dreams!

1 comment:

Tolkien Boy said...

London beds are falling down...

Perhaps you were dancing in your sleep. I know I was.