Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Do you Espeako Espanish?


When I was young, my parents tried to incorporate Spanish into our daily routines whenever they could. There was a small time when we tried speaking only Spanish at the dinner table (that lasted for the first five minutes of the first dinner). We also read scriptures in Spanish for a couple of months while Mom and Dad tried to brush up on theirs. Mom and Dad also bought these language tapes with helpful Spanish songs on them like, " La Arana" (The Spider) and "Somos parta de la misma familia" (We are part of the same family) I think I spelled it correctly! I still remember some of the songs! :) I think a couple of my older brothers took Spanish in highschool and I started reading a Spanish textbook as part of my studies in homeschool, but I didn't keep up with it.


Unfortunately, I only remember a very small part of what I was brought up with. If I took Spanish here at BYU, I would probably pick it up fairly quickly, but I haven't made it a priority. This summer, I wish I had!


Caitie and I have decided to move to an apartment complex called the Glenwood. It's located right next to the English Language Center(ELC). Foreign students go there to study English before they go to BYU. As a result of living right next to the ELC, Caitie and I have two foreign roommates; one from Chile and one from Brazil. The girl from Brazil speaks English and Portuguese, but only speaks very little Spanish. The girl from Chile speaks Spanish and only a very very tiny bit of English. Caitie and I only know a tiny tiny TINY bit of Spanish. It has been an interesting summer so far. We speak very slowly and use many gestures to communicate with everyone. :) They are wonderful girls. I'm glad they live with us... I just wish I had learned Spanish better when I had the chance! I suppose now is as good a chance as any to begin again what my parents tried to start many years ago!

2 comments:

Cristie said...

Me agradecido mucho que puedes aprender Espanol! Tu Mumsy

Emilie Gardner said...

I don't know what you said!! Ugh!