Monday, May 29, 2006

See the Light

This weekend has been fantastic! It started off with a really great experience. On Friday night Audrey, Debi, Ted, Caitie and I went hiking up to Squaw peak. We began around 8:30 pm and ended at around 12:30 am. The whole way up we all talked and told stories. We sang silly songs and wondered if we would survive. 'Feel the burn!' I kept telling myself. And somehow, one footstep at a time, we made it to the top. When we got there, and I saw our surroundings, it took my breath away. On one side, were the extraordinary city lights of beautiful Provo (Caitie said they look like fireworks upside-down). :) On the other side, were incredible mountain peaks that seemed surreal in their beauty. As we got nearer the top, I became more and more peaceful. I didn't talk myself into that feeling, it just came. At the top of the mountain, with the wind whipping all around me, I felt like I was in the temple. My heart was so full, I felt tears come to my eyes. Caitie started singing, "See the Light" from our musical in Kirtland. We sang that song during the temple dedication in the show. How fitting to sing it at the tops of the mountains. I joined in, drinking in the spirit of the song and the energy of the mountains. I really felt closer to heaven. It's hard to explain. It was beautiful.

On the way down, Caitie and I talked about some thoughts we both had while on the hike. I told her that while I was going up the mountain, I had the thought that if it were anyone else leading the group on the hike other than Ted, I would feel very uncomfortable. But, because I trusted him in the mountains and I knew he would lead us where we needed to be, I was all right. There were a few times when my imagination ran away with me and I kept seeing things in the woods that weren't there. Ted told me to relax and I would be fine. As I thought about that, I realized that's what I need to be more like with my Savior. I need to trust Him implicitly. I do not need to be afraid of the steps I need to take for my growth because I know He will only lead to do those things that are good for me and will lead me to my eternal goals. It was powerful for me.

Caitie's insight was that when she first started the hike, she looked way ahead at where we were going and began to get overwhelmed and tired. When she only looked ahead at the next step, she realized she could handle it. We talked about how the Savior only shows us one step of our life at a time. And sometimes when we get more than that, we become overwhelmed and discouraged-thinking we're not strong enough to handle all that's ahead of us.

The Lord is over all. He guides us and leads us every step of the way. He also finds those little moments to teach us the little insights that we need to make it to the next step. And every step of the way, He shows us even more beautiful scenery. I'm so grateful for Him.

No comments: