Sunday, May 30, 2010

May 13, 2010 - LONDON!!! (The Sixteen)


Greenwich (pronounced Grenich) Chapel


I ate something green... and it was really sour. But my tongue matches the ivy!



I'm currently in two hemispheres at once!


Walking around Greenwich with Logan, Andrew, Josh and Heather!


On the boat


Funny faces on the boat


We really like being on the boat


Me in front of the London Eye!!


This has been the most incredible experience I have had in London. If people ask me what my favorite part of London was, I will answer the concert where we watched and listened to The Sixteen. I’ll begin with telling about the day and then we will move to the concert.

Today was Chris Downard’s birthday so Heather and I ran to Mark’s and Spencer’s (It’s a classy Target - kind of) and got him a man-bag. He has been wanting a man bag since we got here. We ran back to get on the coach (bus in America) to take us to the boat to take us to Greenwich (pronounced Grenich) where we were going to listen to their rehearsal and then go to their concert. On the boat, we laughed and took pictures, sang Happy Birthday to Chris and gave him his man bag. It was a beautiful boat ride and I had a wonderful conversation with Jonathan Evans. I really meet some incredible people here every day. I love this!

When we got to Greenwich we walked around the market and I bought British Chinese food. It’s kind of funny, but it tastes quite a bit different than American Chinese food. Somehow, I don’t feel sick when I’m done eating. I think they put a lot less sugar and salt on their foods. It was delicious.

We went to the Prime Meridian today! I was in two hemispheres at once! I really didn't feel any differently but it was cool to see. They had this neat mirror thing that you could see what was going on on the street outside and it was broadcast through mirrors into this tiny room. I really don't know how to explain it, but I loved it.

Heather took a million pictures of me with my red coat. I think I will post those in another entry. I found my true love in London.. in the form of a red coat. :)

The rehearsal was beautiful. The director was extremely accommodating. He would tell us where to listen to so we could hear some of his favorite parts of the music. He told us the history of The Sixteen and why there are actually 18 of them. They sing mostly 16th century music and they used to have 16 members. Now they have 18 and they still since 16th century music for the most part. I was really impressed with the group. They are very warm and open. They have a really good friendship in the group and it just feels good to be around them. When I went to the Tallis Scholars concert, they didn’t really have the opportunity to make that impression because they were on a stage and we didn’t see a rehearsal beforehand. I really did love the camaraderie among The Sixteen though.

We had a short break for dinner where I bought some BEAUTIFUL scarves. Oh my goodness! I love scarves now. I wear them constantly. And I love them all. :) Happiness is a scarf.

The concert blew my mind. They began with a gregorian chant out in the hallway and then walked in together. The overtones were glorious. The sound resonated like no sound I’ve ever heard. They performed in the Greenwich chapel and it’s such a beautiful venue as you can see by the pictures.

The music filled my soul. I truly believe part of the reason I am here is because this music heals my every hurt. I sit and listen to this music and I want to pray and thank Heavenly Father for all the music I am exposed to every day. I pray and tell him about my life and everything I want help with. This music speaks to my spirit in so many beautiful and healing ways. Here are some things I wrote down while I listened to their concert.

The music forces me to feel. I have so many mixed emotions. Sometimes I feel extreme pain. Like my heart is going through and trying to release any pain I’ve ever experienced in my life. The next moment, my heart is soaring. I honestly feel like I’m in Heaven with the angels surrounding me and giving me Heavenly hugs. Music heals my soul. I feel like angels are here. I feel like this music is taking sad hurts out of my heart and releasing them and then filling those old hurts with new memories. My heart soars while I’m in this place feeling so much.

My soul is enveloped in the sounds of Heaven.
Soaring sopranos rise to lift my thoughts to Christ’s resurrection.
I turn my ears to altos who are not as easy to hear-
they remind me of promptings I need to focus on in order to understand.
The tenors are tender mercies of the Lord I experience every day in my life.
Basses are the reminder that I will one day go back home.

I loved today. So so much.

NOTES on The Sixteen:
The men have a deep, rich sound
The women are really light and free. They sound like they could stay up there all day.
I love the sound of chant in a venue like this.
When I listen to this music my soul is filled with the desire to pray and communicate with my Heavenly Father.

No comments: