Thursday, April 15, 2010

Oh Remember

Today I remember Nauvoo.

I opened my scriptures this morning and found the flowers I pressed from the beautiful gardens in Nauvoo. As I looked at the colors captured forever in my Book of Mormon, a flood of memories came into my mind.

I remember walking through the groves in the morning right after the sun came up. The dew on the leaves glistened in the new sun. The birds chirped their happy songs about Nauvoo. The pioneers told their stories on the plaques as I walked through the groves.

I remember being roommates with four girls (two of whom were my companions). We giggled. We bore our testimonies to each other (sometimes in our sleep!). We talked about life, love, and the gospel that made us one.

I remember my Mission President and his wife. I went on weekly drives with Sister Ludwig. We talked about faith. We talked about pioneers. We talked about my Savior Jesus Christ.

I remember singing my testimony of Joseph Smith and Hyrum every day. Sometimes I was so overcome with the spirit, the tears streamed down my face and it was everything I could do to even speak the words. They were no ordinary men.

I remember all the sisters walking around in our slips before Sunset by the Mississippi. Imagine 10 girls all in the kitchen cooking different meals in their companionships! Somehow it always worked and we loved each other. :) Even though it was cramped.

I remember at the beginning, the sisters went around each night and chose a different sister to tell all the gifts we had each seen in her. The night that is was my turn was one of the most humbling nights of my life. The Lord truly placed each of us there at that time for a reason. I love those women with all of my heart. And I always will.

I remember the miracle of my feet.

I remember genuinely laughing so hard my face and stomach hurt every day. I also remember smiling so much my face hurt every day.

I remember posing for pictures. I remember little girls looking at me with the same look in their eyes that I had when I looked at the sisters that served when my brothers were YPM's.

I remember the Lord telling me several times a day that He loves me. I remember Him telling me I need to tell others that He loves them through my performing. And now today, through my genuine happiness in life.

I remember bearing my testimony in the 70's hall. I remember singing with Sister Elbert "Nauvoo" to someone from The Community of Christ Church. I remember them crying. I remember crying too.

I remember incredible talks with each of the sisters at different times. We all loved the Lord. We all did everything we could to serve as much as we could.

I remember my two incredible companions. I was so blessed.

I remember my family. I can't tell you how many times I received a letter with something in it that I needed that day. I laughed. I cried. I was humbled by the sacrifices my family made to have me on that mission. I remember them coming to Nauvoo. I remember being so proud to have them there! I wanted to show my family off to everyone! I wanted to show everyone and everything off to my family! I remember asking Bekah if she knew who Joseph Smith was. Her cousins reminded her and then we talked about President Monson being the prophet today. I remember Bekah bearing her sweet testimony, "Yeah, President Monson lives far away, but Jesus lives in our hearts. And I'm hungry."

I remember Alina's baptism. The spirit was so strong that day.

I remember Nathaniel walking into the church and me crying as soon as I saw him. I loved being a missionary with Nathaniel.

I remember reading the Book of Mormon every chance I could. If I was off stage for ten minutes, I was in the back reading my scriptures with the nightlight they had. I remember feeling the spirit burning strong as I read about ancient prophets.

I remember getting my black eye. I ran back stage to pick up my prop, bent down and my eye met the podium. I ran back on stage with my face throbbing but I was smiling and singing and dancing just the same. Two hours later, everyone was a little shocked at how purple my eye was. :)

I remember being worried that I wouldn't feel the spirit again after Nauvoo. I remember Dad giving me a blessing promising that I could and would depending on my faithfulness.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is true. This morning, I opened my scriptures and remembered.

"These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

“But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”5

The key to the remembering that brings and maintains testimony is receiving the Holy Ghost as a companion. It is the Holy Ghost who helps us see what God has done for us. It is the Holy Ghost who can help those we serve to see what God has done for them.

Heavenly Father has given a simple pattern for us to receive the Holy Ghost not once but continually in the tumult of our daily lives. The pattern is repeated in the sacramental prayer: We promise that we will always remember the Savior. We promise to take His name upon us. We promise to keep His commandments. And we are promised that if we do that, we will have His Spirit to be with us.6 Those promises work together in a wonderful way to strengthen our testimonies and in time, through the Atonement, to change our natures as we keep our part of the promise.

It is the Holy Ghost who testifies that Jesus Christ is the Beloved Son of a Heavenly Father who loves us and wants us to have eternal life with Him in families. With even the beginning of that testimony, we feel a desire to serve Him and to keep His commandments. When we persist in doing that, we receive the gifts of the Holy Ghost to give us power in our service. We come to see the hand of God more clearly, so clearly that in time we not only remember Him, but we come to love Him and, through the power of the Atonement, become more like Him."

President Eyring


I am eternally grateful for my memories. I pray that I may always remember what things the Lord has done for me in my life. And always remember the testimony I have received of His love.


"Tonight, and tomorrow night, you might pray and ponder, asking the questions: Did God send a message that was just for me? Did I see His hand in my life or the lives of my children? I will do that. And then I will find a way to preserve that memory for the day that I, and those that I love, will need to remember how much God loves us and how much we need Him. I testify that He loves us and blesses us, more than most of us have yet recognized. I know that is true, and it brings me joy to remember Him. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

President Eyring

3 comments:

Cristie said...

This is profound and profoundly beautiful. Thank you for being my answer to prayer this day. With love from your mother :)

Brit said...

love you Ems, and your bright, beautiful, humble, joyous spirit. It's always been a source of strength for me. I'm so glad to be your sister

Sister Clark said...

I remember a beautiful girl named Emilie who usually had a big smile on her face. I remember that she didn't mind posing for my camera and now appears in my scrapbook lots of times. I remember her great dancing and how hard she tired to make every performance special for the visitors who came. I remember that black eye and I marveled at how she didn't whine about it. I remember chatting about dreams and wondering what the future would bring. I always knew that Emilie was special and still wish her the very, very best!
With love, Sis. Clark