Thursday, February 16, 2006

Happy Birthday

Last night I went on a "date" with my roommate. We went shopping, she took me out to dinner, it was a wonderful time. Later, Audrey got a phone call on her cell phone that I answered. "You can come home now, there are people here." I thought that was strange. But I didn't connect a thing. Later Caitie called and said there were a couple guys at home who were awkward and they really wanted us to come home to entertain them. We hurried home. Crossing the porch to my front door, I noticed all the lights were out and the door was locked. Weird! I thought they were home. slowly I opened the door. The lights turned on and, "SURPRISE!!!!!" was yelled out by a ton of people. What a happy surprise! I have never been surprised on my birthday. It was such a wonderful night.

During the course of the evening, audrey and Tolkien Boy asked me what I had learned during the past year. I couldn't tell them right away, but it has caused some serious reflection in myself. What have I learned this past year? How am I different? How have I grown? One major difference this year is that I actually wanted people to acknowledge my birthday. Last year, I didn't want anyone to do anything. I wanted it to be forgotten. I realized that I have learned a lot about myself. I have learned to like myself. I am not afraid to be myself. I also found what kind of woman I wanted to become throughout my life. And as a result, I have goals and I'm excited to meet them. I know I can make a difference in people's lives and I want to help people. I love music and I'm finally in the music program at BYU. I'm learning things I'm excited about. I'm helping children learn to love music. I'm learning more and more every day how blessed I am and how much responsibility I have with the blessings I have been given.

I have learned that instead of just "getting through" life, I am going to conquer it and have a good time doing so. Life is good. Thank you everyone for the examples and love you have shown me. Everyone has made a difference in my life. You're all amazing.

No comments: